Foreigners in Poland

Residence permit for a specified period of time

Permission for temporary residence in Poland may be issued, if a non-Polish citizen proves that his/her residence in the territory of Poland for a period longer than three months is justified because of certain circumstances. Such circumstances include:

  • conduct of economic activity
  • acquiring a permission for employment
  • continuation of studies or vocational training in the territory of Poland
  • participation in vocational training and probation carried out within UE programs
  • marriage to a Polish citizen.

The permission for temporary residence may be granted for a period of up to two years.

An application should be submitted to the competent consulate of the Republic of Poland. Applicants already being in Poland may apply directly to a competent regional office of a provincial governor.

What are the formal requirements?

A foreigner who intends to apply for temporary residence in Poland should submit:

  • application forms filled out in Polish
  • passport size photographs
  • documents stating the source of income or evidence of financial resources to support the stay in Poland
  • receipt of having paid the consular fee
  • a valid passport.

The consulate may also request the following documents:

  • birth certificate
  • marriage certificate
  • certificate that the applicant has no criminal record issued by the competent authority of the country of origin
  • certificate that the applicant has no outstanding financial obligations in the country of origin.